Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Big plans, bright future

Safer Stockton Partnership Minutes

Date:
Tuesday, 16th August, 2011
Time:
09.30 a.m.
Place:
Education Centre, Junction Road, Norton, TS20 1PR
 
Please note: all Minutes are subject to approval at the next Meeting

Attendance Details

Present:
Geoff Lee (Chairman - Tristar), Cllr Jim Beall, Cllr Steve Nelson, Mike Batty, Jane Humphreys, Steven Hume, Richard Poundford (Stockton Borough Council); Christine Goodman (Victim Support); Sam Gibbons (Junior Neighbourhood Watch); Jim Willoughby (Holme House), Geoff Turner (Western Area Partnership Board), Tina Williams (Central Area Partnership Board), John Bentley (Safe in Tees Valley), Rob Donaghy, Ted Allen (Stockton Police), Bert Smailes (Northern Area Partnership Board), Dr Neville Cameron (Cleveland Police Authority), Jo Heaney, Emma Champley, David Hughes (DAAT), Ruth Hill (PCT/SBC), Paul Noddings (Tristar Homes).
Officers:
Nigel Hart (LD).
Apologies for absence:
were submitted on behalf of Tony Churchill, Lucia Saiger, Alison Agius, Miriam Robertson, Paul Green, Marilyn Davies, Chris Coombs, Darren Best, Mick Williams.
Item Description Decision
Public
SSP
20/11
MINUTES OF MEETING - 5TH JULY 2011
The minutes of the meeting held on 5th July 2011 were agreed as a correct record.
SSP
21/11
MATTERS ARISING
(A) STATISTICS (ITEM NO 4 REFERS)
(B) METAL THEFT AND PLANNING PERMISSION (ITEM NO 5 REFERS)
(C) THEORY OF CHANGE (ITEM NO 7 REFERS)

 
SSP
22/11
AREA PARTNERSHIP BOARDS - REPORTS BACK
Nothing to report at this meeting.
SSP
23/11
MINUTES OF YOS MANAGEMENT BOARD 12 JULY 2011
 
SSP
24/11
MINUTES OF SAFEGUARDING ADULTS COMMITTEE 14 JULY 2011
The minutes of the Safeguarding Adults Committee of 14 July 2011 were agreed as a correct record.
SSP
25/11
ACTION NOTES FROM SCANNING & CHALLENGE GROUP 18 JULY 2011
The action notes from the scanning and challenge group for 18 July 2011 were noted.
SSP
26/11
ANY OTHER BUSINESS-IDENTIFICATION ONLY
None
SSP
27/11
DRUG RELATED OFFENDING
AGREED that:-

1. The presentation be noted.
2. An update be provided on any Government changes to Housing.
3. A letter be sent to the MP's highlighting concerns around public health funding issues.
SSP
28/11
RECORDED CRIME & DISORDER
AGREED that the update be noted.
SSP
29/11
COMMUNITY SAFETY PLAN Q1
AGREED that the report be noted.
SSP
30/11
ALCOHOL STRATGEY ACTION PLAN
AGREED that the update be noted.
SSP
31/11
DAAT Q4
AGREED that the report be noted and that a further update be provided at a future meeting.
SSP
32/11
IMPACT OF SOCIAL NORMS WORK
AGREED that this item be deferred to the next meeting.
SSP
33/11
EIG REVIEW CONSULTATION
AGREED that the update be noted.
SSP
34/11
HOME OFFICE PRESS RELEASE - EMPOWERING COMMUNITIES AND BUILDING SAFER NEIGHBOURHOODS
AGREED that the press release be noted.
SSP
35/11
COUNTER TERRORISM
AGREED that the update be noted.
SSP
36/11
COMMUNICATIONS
AGREED that the press releases be noted.
SSP
37/11
REPORTS BACK
A) RENAISSANCE
B) DAAT GROUPS
- ADULTS COMMISSIONING
- YOUNG PEOPLES COMMISSIONING
- REDUCING SUPPLY GROUP
- OFFENDER MANAGEMENT GROUP

None
SSP
38/11
DATE OF NEXT MEETING - TUESDAY 27 SEPTEMBER 2011 AT 9.30 A.M.
 

Preamble

ItemPreamble
SSP
21/11
(a) Members were provided with the statistics that they requested at the previous meeting with regard to the distribution of PCSO's.

(b) Members were provided with a report on the Planning Process and Community Safety Issues which related to metal theft.

(c)
SSP
23/11
The minutes of the YOS Board of 12th July 2011 were provided for information.

It was noted that the Youth Justice Board consultation regarding grant funding for YOT had identified four options. Further information would be provided before December, with implementation in April 2012.

The formulas were complicated for the funding and it was suggested that we look at other Tees Valley authorities to see the overall effects. Jane Humphreys will report back.
SSP
27/11
Members were provided with a presentation on Reducing Drug Related Offending. Statistics were provided on the age profile of those in treatment, gender, ethnicity, substance of choice. Information was provided on wrap-around issues such as employment and housing.

In 2009/10, 47 were sent to detox or rehab. In 2010/11 the number that were in treatment throughout the year was 1409.

The Key priorities were:-

- Housing
- Employment and Training
- Successful Exits
- Women
- Criminal Justice
- Harm Reduction
- Recovery Outcomes

Issues for the future were highlighted, such as:-

- Move to Public Health
- Removal of ring-fencing on budget
- Police and Crime Commissioners
- Continuation of Drug Recovery Wing based around IOM
- Payment by Results

Members held discussion on the presentation. It was reported that the 30-34 age group was the largest category for first time entrants into treatment. Heroin was the primary substance, however there was an increase in clients accessing steroid use. Discussion was held on unemployment being a contributory factor leading to people taking drugs and committing crimes to feed their habit. Many may not have a home to go to when released from prison and the Government was proposing to reduce tenancy rights. There will also be changes in the benefits system. This may need to be considered at a future meeting to discuss the implications.

Public health funding may be ringfenced but not around drugs and would need to determine priority based on needs assessment. Emma Champley will draft a letter to the two MP's highlighting Members concerns.
SSP
28/11
Members were provided with the recorded crime figures for April - July 2011/12 compared to the same period in 2010/11. A comparison of anti social behaviour incidents was not possible this financial year due to a change in recording practices as of 01/04/11.

Discussion was held regarding thefts of bikes from sheds, Jane Humphreys will send a letter out to Schools. It was also thought that if the winter was milder this year then crime levels could increase.
SSP
29/11
Members were provided with Quarter 1 of the Community Safety Plan.
SSP
30/11
Members were provided with the Alcohol Action Plan 2010/11.

It was reported that the figures for May were the lowest they had been.

Discussion was held on domestic violence and a pilot scheme would be looking at getting started late September.
SSP
31/11
Members were provided with the DAAT quarterly performance report for Quarter 4.

An overview of the direction of travel of the Government with regard to funding etc was requested.
SSP
33/11
A copy of the EIG consultation document was circulated. Discussion was held on Early Years Service that was currently being reviewed due to a 25% cut in funding. The service would need to be targeted at those most in need and links with other local voluntary sector organisations would need to be established.

Discussion was held on the changes and concern was expressed on the growing trend in domestic violence and it was felt that this should be reflected in the future work of early years.
SSP
34/11
Members were provided with a press release from the Home Office regarding two new funds totalling 14 million being made to the voluntary sector to empower communities to take action against crime and antisocial behaviour.

SSP
35/11
A DVD had been produced regarding violent extremism and it was suggested that this be shown at the next meeting and at the Executive Safety Board.

A formal launch of the DVD would take place in October.
SSP
36/11
Members were provided with the list of press releases from SSP for the period of 20th June - 26th July Copies of the full articles were available from the Community Safety Team.

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction