Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Big plans, bright future

Safer Stockton Partnership Minutes

Date:
Tuesday, 18th March, 2008
Time:
9.30 a.m.
Place:
Room E, Education Centre, Junction Road, Norton
 
Please note: all Minutes are subject to approval at the next Meeting

Attendance Details

Present:
Geoff Lee (Chairman - Tristar Homes); Cllr Steve Nelson, Mike Batty (SBC); A Turner (Western Area Partnership Board); Anne Howard (Neighbourhood Watch); J Hodgkinson (Cleveland Police Authority); Emma Champley (Stockton DAT); Carl Green (Adult Protection); Ian Harrington (Fire Authority); Dave Brunskill, Gary Gamesby (Police); Lucia Saiger (Probation); Miriam Robertson (YOS); Bert Smailes (Safer Billingham Partnership).
Officers:
Marilyn Davies (DNS), Fiona Shayler (LD).
In Attendance:
David Dunn (GONE)
Apologies for absence:
Cllr Alan Lewis, Jane Humphreys, Chris Coombs, Ian Garrett.
Item Description Decision
Public
SSP
390/07
MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 29TH JANUARY 2008
The Minutes of the meeting held on 29th January 2008 were agreed as a correct record.
SSP
391/07
MATTERS ARISING
(A) YOUTH CUSTODY SUPPORT PROJECT (MINUTE 381 REFERS)

 
SSP
392/07
MINUTES OF YOS MANAGEMENT BOARD 22 JANUARY 2008
 
SSP
393/07
ANY OTHER BUSINESS
 
SSP
394/07
REVIEW OF NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICING
AGREED that the report be noted.
SSP
395/07
APPROVAL OF COMMUNITY SAFETY PLAN 2008 - 2011
AGREED that:-

1. The targets subject to changes as detailed be endorsed.

2. Any final comments be provided to Claire Sills on 01642 527616 or [email protected] on this draft no later than 29th March 2008.

3. The final approval of the Plan be delegated to the Chair and Vice-Chair.
SSP
396/07
COMMUNITY COHESION STRATEGY
AGREED that the Community Cohesion Actions for the SSP be noted.
SSP
397/07
PARTNERSHIP INVESTMENT PLAN 2008/09
AGREED that the proposed spend in the action plan be endorsed.
SSP
398/07
MEETING DATES FOR 2008/09
AGREED that:-

1. The provisional meeting dates be endorsed

2. Members of the Partnership give consideration to in-depth discussion subjects for the meetings of 10 June, 19 August and 17 March 2009.

3. An indepth discussion on Criminal Damage/Total Crime be held on 16th December 2008.
SSP
399/07
FACE THE PEOPLE SESSION, NEWTOWN, 31 JANUARY 2008
AGREED that the comments be noted and the next session be held in September.
SSP
400/07
CUTTING CRIME
AGREED that the report be noted and a definition of 'Serious Violent Crime' be requested.
SSP
401/07
THINK B4U DRINK EVALUATION
AGREED that the report be noted and that any comments be submitted to Sarah Graham Tel (01642) 527827 or [email protected]
SSP
402/07
ANALYSIS OF OFFENDING BY PPOS
AGREED that this report be considered at the next meeting.
SSP
403/07
NATIONAL COMMUNITY SAFETY PLAN
AGREED that the comments be noted.
SSP
404/07
VIOLENT CRIME
AGREED that the comments be noted.
SSP
405/07
LOCAL AREA AGREEMENT
AGREED that the report and comments be noted.
SSP
406/07
ANY OTHER BUSINESS - FOR CONSIDERATION
 
SSP
407/07
COUNTER TERRORISM
AGREED that the update be noted.
SSP
408/07
COMMUNICATIONS
AGREED that the press releases be noted.
SSP
409/07
RECORDED CRIME & DISORDER
AGREED that the update be noted.
SSP
410/07
REPORTS BACK
 

Preamble

ItemPreamble
SSP
391/07
35k had been raised including 10k from SSP which would be enough to maintain the budget for 2008/09.

Community Justice Initiative - Mike Batty had attended a meeting with Officers from East Middlesbrough to identify what would be on offer. A meeting would be held with Kellie Hopkins, Neighbourhood Manager, to assess interest. Areas such as Parkfield, Mill Lane and St Anns already had a Management structure, so it would be preferable to roll out to these areas first, then to look at Hardwick, Victoria and Mandale. Mike Batty to report back to next meeting.
SSP
392/07
Members considered the minutes of the YOS Management Board of 22nd January 2008.

Further feedback was provided on the YOS Inspection, the final report would published the following week and a press release would need to be sent out.

Key issues that would need to be concentrated upon were Recidivism, FTE, ETE and addressing inconsistencies in performance.
SSP
393/07
Neighbourhood Watch - Latest developments from the Home Office on seizure of Monies/Assets was discussed.
SSP
394/07
Members were provided with a copy of the Stockton District - NHP Project Board Report April 2007 to December 2007.

Members were informed that 302930 was the dedicated phoneline for the Public to contact Neighbourhood Police Officers and PCSO's. The figures were provided indicating useage of the telephone number. The Public were also able to drop-in to any of the offices around the Borough to report incidents.

The PCSO's have been carrying out a survey within the Town Centre and its Markets to identify residents concerns and problems. Work was also being undertaken with Kellie Hopkins (Neighbourhood Manager).

Police Beat and Councillor Ward Surgeries were often being held jointly and it was felt that in many areas, the joint working was successful as many problems raised by residents were able to be dealt with immediately.

It was requested that the Telephone Number 302930 be advertised as widely as possible and included within all partner leaflets/information. It was stated that the number would be advertised in the next Neighbourhood Watch Newsletter. Marilyn Davies was discussing advertising of appropriate numbers with Tristar Homes.The Police Authority were also advertising the telephone numbers.

A report would be presented to the next meeting on Police Authority plans for funding PCSO's beyond 2008/09.

SSP
395/07
Members were provided with the latest draft of the Community Safety Plan 2008/11 for approval.

Since the meeting on January 29th a number of comments had been received from members and these had been included. In January, the National Standards were also considered to ensure that the plan was compliant with both statutory requirements and best practice.

Where possible targets had been set, however, as the Local Area Agreement targets had still not been finalised some targets in the plan may be changed at a later date to ensure consistency. Also, final figures to set baselines from a three year average would be added in the second week of April when the data was available.

It was requested that any further comments on the plan be submitted to Claire Sills no later than 29th March 2008. Members were informed that John Bentley had been very helpful in the production of the plan.

A Summary Page would be produced in Stockton News once the report was finalised.

A copy of the final plan would be available in printed format for Members to receive at their next meeting in May, 2008.

It was stated that BCU groupings would be changing and that there were some hard targets with other CDRP's. Discussion was held on target groupings which it was felt were over complicated. GONE would report back.

The Chairman raised the issue of deliberate fires, recent analysis had been undertaken and the North East was doing very well, there was lots of work going on in this area.
SSP
396/07
Members were provided with a copy of the Community Cohesion Strategy - Actions for Safer Stockton Partnership, for information purposes.
SSP
397/07
Members were provided with the Safer Stockton Partnership Investment Plan 2008/09. It provided details of the proposed spend of the funding that would be available to the partnership via the Basic Command Unit (BCU) and Safer and Stronger Communities (SSC).

Members may recall that there was a suggestion that this would be the final year for Basic Command Unit funding but that money that came under the SSC banner through the Local Area Agreement should continue throughout the three years of the forthcoming Community Safety Plan.

The plan would be reviewed towards the end of the next financial year to account for the possible reduction/cancellation of the BCU and for any emerging issues that may be identified through the Partnership Strategic Assessment.

It was felt that it would be preferable for the plan to be taken over 3 years to enable future planning to take place.
SSP
398/07
The following meeting dates were agreed by the Partnership:-

- 6 May 2008, followed by SSP/DAT Integration group, 12.30 - 14.00
- 10 June 2008*
- 19 August 2008*
- 4 November 2008 , followed by SSP/DAT Integration group, 12.30 - 14.00
- 16 December 2008*
- 3 February 2009
- 17 March 2009*

For the four meetings above marked with an asterisk, there was the opportunity of an in-depth discussion, in the absence of quarterly monitoring reports. One option for the year would be to report in turn on the top five issues covered by the Community Safety Plan (except for Drug Related Offending, on the basis that this would be covered by the Integration Group meetings) i.e. ASB, Violent Crime, Criminal Damage and Diverting Young people from Offending.

It was requested that an indepth discussion on Criminal Damage/Total Crime be held at the meeting on 16th December 2008.
SSP
399/07
Members of the Safer Stockton Partnership held their first Face the People session on January 29th 2008. The notes of the meeting were provided for Members information.

Members will recall that we agreed that we would hold these sessions in areas with above average crime levels and that we would attach the session to an established meeting. In this instance we attended a Neighbourhood Watch Coordinators meeting that was being held in the Primrose Hill area of Newtown ward.

The meeting was attended by:

Chair of the Community Safety Partnership
Police District Commander
Fire Service District Commander
Two Managers from the Primary Care Trust
A member of the Police Authority
Director of the Probation Service Teesside
Director of Housing for THL
Head of Community Protection
Community Safety Manager
16 local residents
Two residents from outside of the ward

Residents were keen to discuss a range of issues both national and local and the session lasted two hours.

Members were asked to consider:

a) Is this the best approach for residents to access members of the partnership?

It was felt that this was the best approach, although further advance advertising would be done for future sessions. Linking with Area Partnership Board meetings was also a possibility.

b) Should we hold future Face the People sessions in the format used in January?

It was felt that the format used worked well and that it would be useful to feed the information into the Strategic Assessment. It was also requested that a representative from YOS attend future sessions.

c) How frequently should Face the People sessions be held?

Annually, with the next session being held during September.

GONE to report back on the evaluation of Middlesbrough's CDRP Sessions that have been held with the public, at a future meeting.

Mike Batty, Marilyn Davies and the Chairman would hold an informal meeting to discuss the arrangements further.
SSP
400/07
Members were provided with a report providing further detail to the report that was brought to partnership on 7th August 2007. The Home Office document was produced in July 2007 as a roadmap to achieving new ways of working and innovative solutions to make neighbourhoods safer. An Executive Summary of the report was attached for information.

The document proposed an End-to-End approach to crime:

- Early intervention
- Situational Prevention
- Enforcement
- Reducing Re-offending

Within the document the Home Office pledged that services would be less subject to direct control giving professionals greater flexibility in how they work.

The document proposed seven key areas of focus over the period of the plan 2008/11

a) Stronger Focus on Serious Violent Crime - a Violent Crime Strategy has been produced and we have a new Public Service Agreement that includes two indicators:
- Reduce Serious Violent Crime
- Reduce Sexual Offending

Early intervention, preventing escalation and support for victims was advocated.

b) Continued Pressure on ASB - The aim is to improve standards. The Government would provide support to ensure effective use of tools and powers. There would be a fresh drive on the use of supportive interventions alongside robust enforcement. The Department for Children Schools and Families (DCSF) would produce a 10 year Youth Strategy and the Home Office would work with them, the Association of Chief Police Officers, the Youth Justice Board and the Ministry of Justice to produce a Youth Crime Strategy.

c) Renewed Focus on Young People - A number of key areas of work were proposed to help to improve the life chances of young people. It was proposed that links would be strengthened between the Police, schools and youth provision.

d)New National Approach to Designing Out Crime - Prevention at an early stage was recommended with crime prevention training for professionals such as scientists and architects. An Early Warning system will be developed to identify issues that are best tackled at a national level and a ‘THINK CRIME' initiative will be developed for business.

e)Continuing to Reduce Offending - This would cover the need to punish and deter but also to rehabilitate to increase confidence in the Criminal Justice System. The Ministry of Justice were exploring ways of prioritising more effectively a broader group of offenders within the NOM's framework, in particular those sentenced to 12 months or less.

f) Greater Sense of National Partnership - A National Crime Reduction Board would be developed to strengthen partnership work between the Government and the third sector to increase their role in shaping and delivering services.

g) Freeing Up Local Partners - Building Confidence - Fewer targets would be mandated from the centre with more flexibility to respond to local crime priorities. A ‘simpler' performance management framework was being developed for responsible partners, APACs. The Government pledges to cut ‘red tape' in line with the report by Sir Ronnie Flannagan and be more enabling and less directive where there was evidence of strong performance. Links between CDRP's and the LCJB were to be maximised to improve public confidence and re-assurance and to improve support for victims, without losing the focus on the management of offenders. Face the People sessions were seen as one useful tool to ensure that members of the CDRP were in touch with their community.

Members requested that a definition of 'Serious Violent Crime' be requested.
SSP
401/07
Members were provided with the Executive Summary taken from an evaluation report produced by the University of Durham on the Think B4U Drink campaign that had been running in Stockton since 2005. This report provided a summary of the main findings and recommendations.

The evaluation included a review of evidence based need for the campaign and findings suggest that:

- Binge drinking in Stockton was significantly higher than the England average
- Nine wards were in the highest quartile locally for binge drinking
- Stockton's breath test rate was close to the average for the Cleveland force area
- Alcohol admissions to hospital have been increasing since 2000 to 2004 (latest data available) however they were lower in Stockton than for the rest of the Tees Valley.
- Admission rates were higher for 15 to 19 year olds than for the 20 to 39 age group but the peak age for admissions is 45 to 49 for both men and women
- Death rates related to alcohol causes were higher than the average for England the peak age being 50-54 for both men and women
- Victims believe that the offender was under the influence for 46% of violence offences

During the evaluation the Community Safety Officer and the evaluation team visited nine licensed premises, seven retail premises and a range of student events.

Key findings in the report were:

a) The approach used by SSP to develop the campaign using a range of partners was sound and appears to be delivering a number of positive outcomes in an efficient manner. This confirmed the findings from Viewpoint - 49% of people interviewed and 68% of those who were amongst the key target group were aware of the campaign.

b) The campaign has made a significant impact on the licensed trade in Stockton who overwhelmingly felt that it was a valuable and effective campaign.

c) A clear strength of the campaign was the adaptability of resources and the focus on changing trends. The campaign was well designed, flexible and appropriate to the needs of the area.

d) The impact of the campaign did not appear to have been diminished by other bigger national campaigns. Across a range of the study areas there was a perceived value by respondents placed upon local origin and staffing of the team. This level of local knowledge and direction seems to generated a valuable level of respect and acknowledgement.

e)The campaign's resources, materials and general approach were a significant strength.

f) The evaluation found that the campaign provided value for money, was a success and warranted continuation.

It was suggested that the following actions be considered by Members:-

a) A large scale full consultation with consumers across the Borough was recommended
b) The use of mobile phones to send text messages relating to the campaign
c) Bespoke website alongside material on the partnership website
d) Further more significant funding should be sought to develop ideas and potentially employ dedicated full time staff
e) The project should try to expand to adjacent areas whilst maintaining the focus on providing a local response.

It was worth noting that obtaining funds remained a key issue for the campaign. The report stated "Think B4U Drink has achieved a number of successes across the Borough of Stockton, despite an extremely limited budget and access to financial resources".
SSP
403/07
Attached to this report was an update, as promised at the last meeting of the Partnership, showing the local position against each of the action points identified for local Partnerships in this Plan.

The following numbered items were worthy of particular discussion and further consideration:-


a) item 2 - quality of data for identifying repeat victimisation.

b) item 19 - feedback from regional meeting of 11 March.

c) item 30 - CAMHS capacity.

d) item 40 - update on work done by Cleveland Criminal Justice Board.

e) item 43 - local availability of programmes to support ‘ alcohol DRRs'

Members comments were as follows:-

a) Further work on CRASBO's was being undertaken.

b) Meeting with Jeff Evans on 4th April regarding reducing re-offending, a report back will be made.

c) Mike Batty will pursue outside of the meeting.

d) Alcohol Treatment Requirements (ATR) In Middlesbrough they have three levels of ATR:- Brief Interventions, Albert Centre, Middlesbrough Alcohol Treatment. The Magistrates are keen to expand this system throughout Teesside.

A progress report would be provided at the next meeting.
SSP
404/07
Since the last meeting of the Partnership, the Home Office had published ‘Saving Lives. Reducing Harm. Protecting the Public. An Action Plan for Tackling Violence 2008 -11' and the National Audit Office had published ‘Reducing the risk of violent crime'.

The Home Office document included a summary of actions , of which there were 51. These actions attributed to CDRPs as "owners" have been extracted and were provided for Members information.

The NAO report was also provided which included a set of five recommendations.

It was requested that the information be sent to the Violence Reduction Group.

It was stated that there were still problems with collection of Accident and Emergency statistics, but some improvements were being made.

It was reported that research was taking place during April on serious gun crime. Although this was not currently a problem in Stockton on Tees the information would be useful. A national survey had taken place last year which had provided a more open ended definition of 'gangs' which could increase the perception of gun crime.
SSP
405/07
Members were provided with the latest information on the LAA following negotiations with Government Office North East (GONE), as at 10 March 2008. GONE have now proposed a further five indicators in relation to Safer Communities for consideration, NI19, 32,38,42 and 111.

The schedule currently showed 36 Indicators that have been agreed and a further 7 under negotiation, therefore exceeding the maximum of 35. This was to allow for attrition as the process of target negotiation unfolds.

In respect of these latest proposals from GONE, feedback has been offered as follows

a) NI 38 was preferred to NI 42 (GONE wanted us to include one or the other), because NI 38 is an objective measure rather than a further perception based indicator (and NI 42 is in any case a sub set of NI 17, which was already agreed for inclusion).

b) NI 111 was preferred to NI 19 (again, GONE wanted us to include one or the other), because reducing First Time Entrants is a more effective long-term strategy than reducing re-offending and puts the focus on early intervention, and because NI 111 was an established Indicator with a trend already available.

c) NI 32 was not supported, because the GONE rationale for its inclusion appears to be that Stockton shows a relatively high level of domestic violence as a proportion of all recorded violent crime, whereas there are very good grounds for believing that localities with higher recorded levels of domestic violence were performing better, in terms of uncovering the extent of the problem. GONE representatives have mentioned the possibility of providing a rationale in more detail but this has not yet been forthcoming.

If these comments were taken on board by GONE then there would be 6 Safer Communities Indicators still ‘in the running' i.e. National Indicators 15,17, 33, 38, 40 (DAT would be the ‘owner' for this one, as previously reported) and 111 (classified by GONE as falling under ‘Children & Young People').

GONE would hopefully by the end of the month have agreed a final set of indicators for the LAA. It was requested that a definition on violence be provided. It was stated that there was a lengthy definition and a report back would be made by GONE.
SSP
406/07
GONE requested that Members consider nominating any projects that show evidence of success and sustainability for a National Award with a prize of 10k for the best submission. It was also noted that this competition would be a good way of sharing best practice between CDRP's. Marilyn Davies would give this further consideration and report back.
SSP
407/07
The threat level nationally was still 'Severe', which meant that a threat was highly likely.
SSP
408/07
Members were provided with a list of press releases for the period from 14th January to 29th February 2008.
SSP
409/07
Members were provided with the recorded crime figures and Anti Social Behaviour disorder codes for April 2007 - January 2008 compared with April 2006 - January 2007.

Discussion was held on Fixed Penalty Notices (FPN's) and criminal damage. It was stated that reporting of crimes was much higher.
SSP
410/07
Childrens Fund - A meeting had recently been held. Funding would be coming into the authority as a Childrens Fund Trust. There would be major changes made to this fund from April 2009.

Adult Protection Committee - A meeting was due to be held on Thursday and Members were informed that information could be provided to themselves on violence between dementia patients.

CPA - The results had now officially been released and it was requested that everyone involved be thanked for their input.

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction